Sunday 20 July 2014

First Time in a Long Time

I done been paintifying.

Last time I took up a brush was over a year ago, around May/June, and even then I only painted Elrond's inner robes and sleeves. The time before that was the end of 2012/start of 2013. However, in the last three days, I have finished Elrond, and painted Aragorn and Eowyn. In doing so, I have discovered that I lack a few paints, so I definitely won't be doing more than priming models in the next week, if anything at all.

This was the first time I have tried using pre-made grass tufts on bases, Citadel Mordheim Turf. It looks good, but the stuff that holds the tufts together is white... and kinda visible, which is annoying. Also, I learned a bit about using tufts of the right size, when I realised that there were smaller tufts in the container. To that end, feel free to guess the order in which I based them.

I am particularly pleased with how Eowyn turned out, more so than the others. It is also one of my favourite poses in the entire range, though the other two are very good contenders for the position.

From painting these guys, I think the main things to improve upon are painting blonde hair, and making sure to keep paint on skin very smooth. Whenever I do blonde hair, it always ends up looking a bit dirty, and it's very difficult because in reality it can go from dark to light very quickly, and (particularly yellowy-blonde, in comparison to white-blonde) seems to go from almost dark brown to white across its shades. I did water down the paint for the skin quite a bit, but with the number of layers on there, it formed a rough surface anyway.

Click for big.









I have no idea what I'm going to paint next. I have been buying up a lot of heroes, hopefully catching some before they go out of production (I notice that Gandalf on Cart and Angry Galadriel are both in plain white packaging now), as well as picking up some that are already history, such as Weathertop Aragorn. Therefore, I have a good 60-70-odd models to choose from, plus a few from the Hobbit range too. 

[EDIT]:
(I say 60-70, but it's a gross underestimation. The number is somewhere around 200, and then there's rank and file troops, and other bits and pieces on top of that number.)

I also never posted finished photos of Legolas and Gimli to the blog. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment