I am far from done with this one. In light of what I learned getting it this far, I will go back tomorrow and make more separate tongues of fire by building off the ones that are already there, and add lots of small bits in between the giant spikes that are there now. A couple of spots look okay from some angles, but overall it looks incredibly awkward, and I won't declare it done until it looks good from all angles. It's definitely going to be much more of a challenge that I initially anticipated - and I didn't expect it to be easy back then. I can't wait to get this Derpwraith to a better place.
I'm not totally down about it - I have learned about how to approach largely unsupported areas with an armature (unsupported as in "not enclosed like Boromir's arm"), and it is at least a step in the right direction to a point where visualising the final image isn't so far fetched as it was looking at wires. It's left me with an outlook on the project that is both sulky and eager.
Aragorn has also seen some work, and he too will need another session to thicken his arm and work some more on making his hand to thumb transition look better, as well as rounding the dagger handle a bit to make its cross-section elliptical instead of rectangular. For now, I'm a lot happier with him than the Nazgul above, and he's been a lot more forgiving to the same mistakes that I made on the wraith.
I also mentioned in my last post the need for more tools. Last night I rigged up a temporary tool using some twisted wire and the back end of a woodcut knife handle. It's good enough for working on smooth curves that aren't too deep, and i used it for Aragorn's arm a lot. It and my compass will remain my mainstay choices until I can make some more permanent tools using THIS GUIDE which is makes it quite achievable to make one's own professional quality tools.