Saturday, 6 September 2014

Learning as I go

Aragorn's done. As far as sculpting goes anyway. He's undercoated and on the shelf with all the other ready-for-painting models to be done when time allows. I don't have pictures yet, and didn't think to take any before writing up this post.

I've also begun on the other four Ringwraiths. On them, I bulked out the flames first, and allowed the putty to set before moving on. I've only sculpted a couple of flames on each one, so that I don't interfere with the work while working... if that makes any sense.

Whilst doing this, I noted that they looked a lot better than the wraith I posted yesterday. I think the reason yesterday's wraith looked so poor is because of the height of the flames, and their distance apart. The fires on the others aren't as tall, and there's more closer together. They look significantly more natural. In an effort to fix the first one, I've tried to fill gaps between some of the fires, but there's only so much that can be done.

As can be seen, this one looks a lot better than the previous, even though he's far from done and most of the spikes are just cones of putty waiting to be covered later. It will take me several sessions spread across as many days to get them all finished.

I did have a moment this morning where I was absolutely kicking myself - yesterday I stripped two Balrogs - a plastic one, and a metal one, both in the same pose. In my desire to have one of every pose, the plastic one is somewhat surplus to my needs (whereas the metal one with whip wouldn't be when I find one of those). This means that sitting on my shelf are some plastic fires that I could have cut up and used as the basis of these conversions. Sculpting to join bits of those flames to the Nazgul would have been a hell of a lot easier. Oh well!

Until next time, may the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

No comments:

Post a Comment